Friday, November 21, 2008

A whole new meaning to grounded!

Today I arrive at Horizon Aviation as usual, just before 1. Talked with Josh about the plan - a longer review flight in the practice area to cover all of my maneuvers and cross-country applications that I have learned up to this point. I preflighted 721SA as usual, got out to the before take off run-up area and started going through my checklist. Right at the crucial part....the check of the magnetos, led us to a mechanical problem. Upon switching to the left magneto, engine rpm dropped by 300 rpm, which in this case is enough to ground the airplane. We tried running up the engine a few times to see if that would resolve the problem, but with no avail we taxied back to the parking area. The other planes were booked up, so my lesson for today is postponed until tomorrow. Since I am so far ahead of the game in terms of my progress, I didn't mind pushing the lesson off until tomorrow.

Since I am getting so close to the end, I am now spending a lot of my time outside my lessons and work as review time. At the end of the course, which is literally within the next 5-6 flights, I have to take my FAA Exam, Final End of Course Flight Check with the Chief Flight Instructor, Oral Exam and Practical Test with an FAA Designated Examiner......oy. Lots of studying to do.....so close - I'm so excited!

No comments: