Sunday, February 15, 2009

Approaching more Approaches

I am now well into Stage 2 of 3 of my IFR flight training. I am actually about 1/2 way through for this rating. I am now working on the different types of approaches coming into different airports. I originally scheduled this past Saturday to be my first flight of my Commercial license, but we ended up using it to do more instrument approaches to really nail down the procedures. As I did for the past couple days - we flew into Providence first and flew the VOR/DME approach there into Runway 34. We made a low pass (150' above the runway) and took off back on with Providence approach giving us vectors to New Bedford's Back-Course Localizer Runway 23 and then circled to land 32. Then finally back on with Providence Approach only to be switched over to Boston Approach and track the localizer back into Norwood on Runway 35 where we made the full stop landing marking the end of the lesson. We shot all 3 approaches in 1.5 hours, which is really quick actually thinking about all the approach procedures involved. This picture I've included shows you one of the approach plates used for flying into Providence using their localizer. This is just to give you an idea what I am referencing while flying under the hood. (all of this being done with a view-limiting device that does not let me see outside the aircraft) Next weekend I will be starting my 1st Commercial Cross Country flight, which has to be at least 100 nautical miles in length between stopping at a destination airport - we have decided to fly to Farmingdale, NY on Long Island.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! i read the whole blog so far and really enjoy it, heh. I was wondering how much it has costed you at Horizon to get your PPL and what are the rental rates for both the 152 and 172 seeing as I'm kind of itching towards coming here to learn. Thanks and keep up with the Instrument Rating!