Thursday, February 5, 2009

Good Day Bad Day

It was a good day and an eh day today. I started off right into Horizon Aviation as usual on Thursday mornings. Except this one certainly was a battle from the get go. Traffic was horrendous getting out there causing me to be about 15 minutes late. I sat down with Radek, the Chief Flight Instructor to cover the ground portion of my Stage 1 IFR check ride. After about an hour dicussion/quizzing I passed - the ground portion. Next onto the flight portion. It was a whopping 8 degrees outside today, my hands were completely numb and frozen by the time I finished the pre-flight on 172SJ. We went back inside the terminal for a few minutes to let our hands warm up so we could feel them again. We went back out to 172SJ, and hopped in and tried to start the plane up...well it would crank and crank and crank and crank, but wouldn't turn over. We tried several more times, but I guess the heated coils isn't enough to start this plane in really cold weather! So then we went over to 9905F that was parked right next to it to see if we could just do a quick pre-flight on that plane and take it up - EXCEPT.....this plane hadn't been plugged in and needs to be plugged in on cold days for at least 2 hours in advance to heat the coils to make it an easier start on the engine. So, this one was a no-go too! Ugh, the gods were working against me from the start. Thankfully, Josh came back in 721SA, they swapped a couple things around and allowed me to go up today in 721SA because they would rather have gotten that out of the way then try to reschedule and skip around with other lessons. So, I went up in 721SA with Radek for the practical portion of the flight test. Finally, able to get up and fly after the 2nd switch! First off - I passed. But, all of my maneuvers and tracking VORs were not up to par where I was last week. It was a bad day. I passed, so I really can't complain.....then a bad day got a whole lot better. I just got a phone call from my instructor Josh telling me some great news! The Diamond DA40 with G1000 new home will officially be Norwood in 9 days! I can't wait to be able to put that glass time on my resume! Here's a picture of the plane that will be joining the Horizon Aviation Norwood arsenal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Adam,
Have you ever flown a stick plane? That is a nice bird. Good luck. Congrats on the pass. Fly Safe.

jbail